What is Total & Partial Joint Replacement ?
Total Joint Replacement
It is a surgical method performed to replace the damaged joint with artificial implants. Total joint replacement is mainly performed when the joint is severely damaged by osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, post-traumatic arthritis, or vascular necrosis.
In a normal joint,
- The joint surface is covered by a smooth articular exterior place that allows for smooth movement inside the joint,
- Whereas in arthritic joints the cartilage is gradually worn out causing the articular ends of the bones to rub upon one another leading to pain and a limited range of motion.
Total joint replacement may be considered in patients with severe pain which is not relieved through medications, injections, physical therapy, or other treatments.
The goal of the surgery is to relieve pain and return to the normal functioning of the joint.
Total joint replacement can be performed through an open or minimally invasive approach.
In the open approach,
- An incision is made over the affected joint to expose the joint.
- The arthritic part of the joint is removed.
- It is prepared to receive the artificial components.
- The artificial components are fixed in place.
- The muscles and tendons are then repaired and the skin is closed.
A minimally invasive approach has been developed in recent years where surgery is performed through one or two smaller incisions rather than the single long incision as in the traditional approach.
The advantages of the newer approach are lesser muscle dissection, minimal pain, quicker recovery, and faster rehabilitation.
Minimally Invasive Joint Replacement.
Total Knee Arthroplasty.
Conformis Knee Arthroplasty.
Total Hip Arthroplasty.
Total Shoulder Arthroplasty.
Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty.
Always Consult the Best Joint Replacement Doctor for Such Joint Replacement Surgery.
Partial joint replacement
Partial joint replacement is a minimally invasive procedure.
- Infected or damaged joint surfaces are removed.
- It is replaced with artificial surfaces while leaving the healthy parts of the joint intact.
It remains as the sole treatment option when all possible conservative means of treatment such as rest, anti-inflammatory medications, and physical therapy have been ineffective in resolving your symptoms.
While the procedure may relieve your pain and other symptoms, there may also be associated risks and complications as with any major surgery.
Potential risks and complications that may occur following
Partial Joint Replacement Include:
Infection, Wearing implants, dislocation, fractures in the bone, stiffness, and damage to the blood vessels and nerves.
Because a partial knee replacement is less surgery, it has often been reported to have an easier, quicker, more complete recovery and greater satisfaction than a full knee replacement. The surgery and recovery may be more involved, but the overall outcomes are highly successful.
Dr. Rohit Luthra is one of the best Joint replacement Doctor in Pune. He has wide experience in the field of arthroscopy and joint replacement. Also, he has successfully performed many surgeries for joint replacement. If you have a joint problem and looking for a Joint Replacement Doctor in Pune you can totally rely on Dr.Rohit Luthra.